Conversion/Alternate Media Services Overview
If you require the use of course materials in an alternative format, this is your guide to requesting these accommodation services. UC Irvine is on the quarter system therefore classes progress quickly. DSC will work to assist you in the provision of alternatively formatted course materials in a timely manner. DSC recommends that you manage your accommodations accordingly in order to provide your course materials in a timely manner.
The Disability Counselor and Alternate Media Specialist authorize the type(s) of academic accommodations a student may receive. Student requests will be honored only with prior and appropriate approval.
Make your alternative format requests early with complete course information and proof of purchase
It is the student's responsibility to provide the Media Specialist with class syllabi, course/reading schedules, professor/TA contact information, CAM Request Form (online), proof of purchase, etc. Time and production constraints may dictate how the course material is made accessible. However, our office makes every effort to supply each student with his or her preferred alternative format. For your convenience, the Conversion/Alternate Media (CAM) Request Form is available online. Please use the following steps to complete your request:
1) Please complete the CAM Request Form online;
2) Submit a COPY of all relevant course information (syllabus, course schedule, etc);
3) Submit a COPY of the receipt. In accordance with California state law (AB 422), the student is required to provide proof of purchase or a signed affidavit of ownership of the book(s).
- Note: For rented course books, DSC will check the availability of existing alternate formats. If alternate formats of the books are not available, DSC recommends students to buy the books (new or used) in order to proceed with the cutting and scanning process.
4) Submit the materials to the Alternate Media Specialist as soon as possible (by either in person submission or e-mail submission).
Production of a student’s CAM request(s) will begin only when DSC has received the filled out request forms, the required course information (e.g. syllabi, reading assignments, etc.), and the proof of purchase. Email notification will be sent out when course material is ready to be picked up.
Use the online conversion tool (Sensus Access)
SensusAccess is a self-service solution that automates the conversion of documents into a range of alternative formats including Braille, mp3, Daisy and e-books. The service can also be used to convert otherwise inaccessible documents such as image-only pdf files or scanned images into more accessible formats.
1) Depending on the availability of the books on our repositories, DSC may require you to bring in your books to be cut and scanned in order to proceed with the conversion process.
2) Materials cannot be released to a student until the Alternate Media Specialist has verified proof of ownership of the course materials.
3) You may not be able to pick up all of your requested items at once. DSC often has to stagger CAM production so that ALL DSC students have some of their course materials in the beginning of the quarter.
4) Each DSC registered student receiving CAM services is required to sign a CAM Request Form per class, acknowledging the student has read and agreed to the terms of the Disability Services Center Conversion/Alternate Media Services Agreement. The Media Specialist will discuss the CAM Services Agreement Form with the student, and upon approval is required to sign before any CAM requests will be provided to the student.
If you need any assistance with CAM services or have questions about the different types of alternative formats we produce, please contact DSC’s Media Specialist at 949-824-7494 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
5) If the timelines indicated are not adhered to, then approximate CAM production process requires (3) three working days and up to (10) ten working days and at least (6) six working weeks and up to (10) ten working weeks for Braille to be completed UPON SUBMISSION OF ALL MATERIALS.